Friday, July 27, 2007

Graceland

Welcome to Graceland, I'll be your tour guide for the next 10 minutes or so.
I think Steve would agree if I said that Graceland was not what either of us expected. Sure you hear about the tacky interior, the trophy room, the on-site burial grounds, etc. However, at the end when we walked passed the small family cemetery I felt a very deep sense of loss. I just turned 9 when Elvis died, but I remember being just as mesmerized with him as those that idolized him when they were teens. I had forgotten that he was only 42 when he died, 42! Even Madonna has made it to 49,and looks pretty good! Anyway I digress- While the sense of loss permeated the hot afternoon, I realized on the tour through the house that Elvis really loved his family, especially his parents, which I think has to be his most honorable trait. I didn't know that his mother died suddenly while he was in the Army, and he was totally devastated. He served his country willingly, he gave to those in need, and I think he was pretty smart to set up a trust where his daughter had to wait to inherit the bulk of his estate. Without a doubt this man touched the world, and I think if you interviewed a 100 musicians, you'd find that at least 95, if not all of them said that Elvis in some way influenced their music. Now on with the tour---


Front door of Graceland, this home was not near as big as I thought it would be, Elvis purchased it when he was 22 years old for $100,000! It sits on 13+ beautiful acres. I'd love to see photos from when it was first bought, I bet the views were spectacular.

the peacock stained glass windows look into the TV, music room, on the right next to the lamp is the "famous" 15' white couch. the upstairs is not open to the public, which includes the bedrooms, I wonder if Lisa Marie ever pays a visit, and stays at the house?


The next 2 photos are the area in the basement where Elvis liked to relax, the yellow decor is more subdued in these photos, but believe me it's bright! We figured it was okay as it was Georgia Tech colors with the blue and white to off-set the yellow-


Here's the pool table, the walls and ceiling are covered with fabric, everything is busy, busy, busy. I guess all the carpet and fabric on the walls and ceilings is to make the house as sound proof as possible, don't want to disturb Mama!







WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE-
Photos of the "famous" Jungle Room. The round chair was supposed to be Lisa Marie's favorite place to sit.



yes, this is green shag carpet on the ceiling



Lisa Marie's toy box- we're the same age, this brought back memories, I remember these.




Notice the organ in the background- I think Elvis wanted to be able to hear music wherever he was in the house--

gun collection
One of several badges given to Elvis








Something I didn't know- Elvis was an 8th level black belt- when'd he have the time?????


LM's swing set-oh my the bolts aren't covered, and there are sharp edges- call DFCS!!!






"Hey Priscilla, what should we do with the old smokehouse out back?"
"I don't know honey, maybe a FIRING RANGE" "Just, think how convenient that would be, right in our own back yard."


A view out back, the Presley's even had horses- country living right in Memphis- who'd have thought





back of Graceland









gold lame' costume (c 1957)


Some Elvis memorabilia that could be bought (back then)

gold and platinum records-galore!
Remember the 45's and LPs? I think Elvis would have loved CDs and DVDs-I think he was really a kid at heart.














movie costumes

concert outfits- remember the leather outfit- that had to have been hot-

more. . . . yep more . . . , and I didn't take pictures of everything!


The swimming pool, another surprise at how understated this was-







These are the costumes I remember, the capes and rhinestones from the late 60s and 70s. This exhibit is housed in the building Elvis had constructed as a racquetball court. I think had he gotten into the "health" thing earlier, he might have lasted a bit longer. who knows- we're not given any guarantees.








Elvis' grave, and that of his mother, father, and grandmother.




I couldn't resist taking a picture of this flower, it looks like an azalea, but it seems to late in the year for it to be blooming. I love how the pink comes out from the middle.

I know visiting Graceland may seem like a cheesy, over priced tourist attraction, but I did learn some things about Elvis, and I'm glad I went. I have visited castles, palaces, and stately homes where kings, queens, presidents, and important figures in history have walked, eaten, and slept. From Hampton Court, to Stratford-upon-Avon, this place (or at least it's owner) is no less significant to OUR history.

No comments: