Friday, July 13, 2007

I "met" the Yarn Harlot!

Well sort of . . I read on her blog that she was going to be on "Knitty Gritty" June 29, so I recorded it out of curiosity. Of course, what were they discussing and demonstrating? SOCKS! Apparently there is a difference in knitting socks from a recipe as opposed to using a pattern.

I think the YH was going with the recipe style which I guess means do whatever kind of stitch combination you want as long as you stick with the basic components of a sock-- the ribbing, leg, heel and foot.

I think I still like using a pattern. I don't think I could remember to put twice as many on one needle, and half as many on the other two, decrease to the middle, etc. Yea, I know more confusing than reading a pattern, but whatever works. I was surprised by the YH voice, not what I was expecting.

Plans for the weekend:

Run on Saturday

Make blueberry cobbler and macaroni and cheese for pot luck Saturday night

Frogmore Stew (from Williams and Sonoma catalog) for Sunday "lunch"

Finish SS lesson- (I so don't want to take this on vacation to finish!)

Pool time (Saturday and Sunday, I hope)

Re-start anklets- yes I had to rip out what I'd done- will probably try the toe down instructions (working from the toe to the leg) as the pattern has a lace leg, and a lace cast on, which is the part I started with since I was following the leg down instructions. What was I thinking?!
I know what I was thinking, and that was I already had the sock yarn, I needed a pattern that required the same type of yarn, the label emphasized that the yarn was durable, and therefore a great yarn for socks, we'll see. Maybe a solid foundation will be easier to work.

Maybe make some cards?

Cast-on other 2 projects- blog time with photos?

Get stuff together for Cleveland- done the meal prep, so all that the family needs to do is thaw stuff out, and heat it up, you think they can manage that?

1 comment:

Mary said...

oohhh, so sorry you had to rip the sock! your weekend list looks overwhelming - good luck!