Thursday, July 5, 2007

Mission Impossible

Go ahead an hum the Mission Impossible theme song while I get started . . . .

The Mission- obtain a Peachtree Road Race number without having to take out a second mortgage.

The lack of a number is my fault as I didn’t pay closer attention to when the application was supposed to be in the AJC. I will not make this mistake again next year. I will begin stalking the Atlanta Track Club website in January.

Now onto MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

I contacted everyone I could think of, work, friends, etc. at the beginning of June to try to find someone who had gotten a number, but wouldn’t be able to use their ticket. I was willing to pay face value, but not the $150 that some numbers were going for on ebay.

Tuesday 7:30 received an email from Mary that there might be a possibility that a co-worker would have a number.

At 10:00- this was not the case- oh well, thanks Mary for trying

12:30- while dining and knitting on the veranda (aka the loading dock) at work, Santa Claus (aka Sarge), inquired if I was successful in getting a race #. I responded negative, but I was not giving up hope. I continued knitting on blanket #3.

17:00- while knitting and riding on the 480 outbound for Acworth Park ‘n’ Ride, said desparate runner/knitter receives a call from Santa saying he knew someone who knew someone who had a number, he thought. He gave me “S” contact information, so I place my call.
17:10- S needs to double check to make sure he can get said wanted #
17:15- S confirms yes he has the number, and it’s a go, now how to obtain said #. Conversation and ideas are exchanged on how best to get this, later that night, as I was riding on a bus, and unless I hijack it and turn it around and go back into town, I’ll have to find an alternative. I think my bus mates would have thrown me overboard like Jack Sparrow had I gone that route, anyway.
17:30-desparate runnerknitter places call to spouse (aka Steve), luckily the Spouse will be in town a bit longer and will coordinate with “S” to get the number
17:35- contact “S” to let him know that the Spouse would be in touch to make the drop off
19:30- received call from the Spouse- Mission Accomplished, road race number has been obtained. Thank you Santa and The Spouse!

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE

1 comment:

Mary said...

too funny! so glad you were able to run!