Monday, December 10, 2007

Talking Christmas trees

. . . . no it's not the latest thing for decorating your home. i was pondering on my early morning walk last Sunday, as i admired the neighborhood decorations, and the lack of them on my house. . . what our Christmas trees "say" about us-
♥a single color or perhaps two in various forms throughout the decorations- "i like things simple and orderly, and not over the top", or "these are my most favorite colors", or i'm a control freak so don't touch my tree!!!
♥twinkling lights- "i'm fun and festive", or hyperactive!
♥themed decoration-ie NASCAR cars or racers; Disney or movie characters, etc."i'm so into this, and can't get enough"of course sometimes people have this stuff all over their house throughout the year!

there are times when i like themed trees the best; especially if they feature birds, dolls, things in nature, etc., but you can get carried away with the whole thing-as stated above!
also, i like the trees that go beyond just the shaped balls, and garland, but incorporate springs of holly, or feathers, anything unsual and different.


so I was thinking about what my tree(s) say about me and my family. nearly every ornament on the tree was given to us, some we've been using for almost 18 years, as they were the ornaments Steve's mom put together for him when he had his own place. most of them are homemade which makes them extra special; some of our were made by Steve's Grandmother (GG), my mom and the boys.








it wasn't until i came across the knitting basket that I realized how much of our family is reflected in our tree each year- i've been putting this on the tree for years and never gave it a second thought. someone may need to help me out on this one- did GG make this? it's totally cute with nails as knitting needles, and small balls of yarn!

I purchased this the one from recently from Starbucks-- these are just a few of my favorite year round things!










our smaller tree above the foyer has the Wizard of Oz characters, and the Disney ornaments that my in-laws sent to us each year for the boys. The itty bitty in the powder room has the Ga Tech ornaments, hope to do more with this one. another tree in the foyer has blue jasperware Wedgewood ornaments, most signed by Lord Wedgewood himself! a couple sent from Amsterdam, and other bits of white and blue. even Andrew has one that has sports ornaments and some of his favorites.

i now have a new perspective on the ornaments we have- gifts from family travels, characters from our favorite movies, from family abroad, and the homemade creations- nearly each one has its own story.

there will come a day when i have to divide these ornaments between the boys, and i hope they come to value and treasure them as i have, and will pass along the stories that go with them.

what does your tree say about you? . . .

TTFN

1 comment:

Mary said...

what a wonderful post! yes, the yarn basket is from GG. Ornaments are a big part of decorating tradition, too. I came across of picture of our tree when I was really little and saw the same gingerbread ornament that is prominently displayed on my tree. too cool!