Tuesday, September 11, 2012
10 Favorite Sunday Dinners
1. i like it to be something i can make the day before, or at least do the chopping, measuring, and other prep work so that the afternoon isn't spent cooking AND cleaning up.
2. sandwiches are a favorite at my house anytime-we love cubans, caprese, french dips, etc.
3. one dish dinners-lasagna, or other baked pasta, chicken and rice, etc usually fit this bill. i don't make a lot of traditional casseroles as i don't want to use a lot of canned creamed soups and cheese. also, my family really only likes a couple casseroles.
4. roasted chicken-often have plenty of leftovers for another meal-i almost always try to stretch our sunday dinner either into a lighter dinner that night or another meal in the week.
5. soups-ALWAYS a winner in my house especially soups like gumbo and chicken noodle.
6. broiled salmon or other fish-nice to let it marinade while at we're at church-easy to cook in the oven.
7. brunch-y type foods-LOVE having brunch after church- strata, frittata, baked eggs, cheese grits, etc.
8. risotto-i like to add different things that sorta make it a one-dish meal-chicken, shrimp, veggies, etc.
9. fried chicken from publix-if my boys had it their way we'd have this a couple times a week. i consider it an occasional treat, and publix does a fine job, and my kitchen stays clean.
10. heavy hors 'doeuvres-love having snacks as a meal, and also easy to do ahead.