Sunday, February 23, 2014

in the kitchen.

Having some extra time off from work this week allowed me a chance to try some new recipes, so here's what's been cooking.




Lemon-Almond Bars-February 2014 Southern Living.  I made these for quilt club on Friday, and they were very good.  Were they worth the many steps required to make them, I'm not so sure.  I think if I make these again, I'll try store bought lemon curd to see if it makes a difference in the the overall taste.  Also, I will toast the topping a little longer, and maybe use a bit more butter to insure that it browns.  The topping sorta fell off the bars and made them a little crumbly.


Saturday night's dinner was Mushroom Bourguignon from Deb Perelman's The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook.  This was AMA-zing.  I loved the meatiness of the portobello mushrooms.  Next time I make this recipe I'll use fewer pearl onions (I had actually meant to do this to start with), and I'll cut them in half.  I did not have the tomato paste that the recipe called for, but it didn't seem to matter.  I'll make sure I use it next time so I'll know for sure.  I also used a Chianti for the wine, so not sure if that makes any difference in this type of recipe or not.

 On Sunday's I like to have a do ahead dish for after church.  The February 2014 Southern Living had a lot of one-pot dishes that sounded good.  I fixed the Chicken-and-Collards Pilau, this also was really good.  The modifications I made was to use just chicken breast (cause that's what I had already), and Aidell's Cajun Chicken Andouille sausage.  I think this recipe would also be good with shrimp, and maybe add a can of tomatoes.  The recipe called for basmati rice, but I had to use jasmine instead-cause that's what I already had on hand, and it seemed to be fine.

I'm looking forward to trying more recipes and will share the results here.

No comments: