Monday, March 3, 2014

Weekend lens.

We treated Andrew to an early birthday gift with tickets to Alton Brown's show Edible Inevitable Tour on Friday.  It was a lot of fun and Alton Brown was very entertaining.  Prior to the show we tried a new Greek restaurant near my office Cafe Mezo.  No liquor license yet, but you can bring your own wine with no corkage fee-It was very good and I hope to have a chance to go there for lunch.  Mezes means small plates, and they really are small plates.

Since I leave my office at 4, I had a little time to kill before the boys rolled into Atlanta.  I went to Esorpion for a cocktail, empanada and some chips and salsa, salsa counts as a vegetable right?!  There was a little knitting too.
It was a perfect evening to walk to the few blocks to the Fox, such an awesome venue.
When the boys are home that means serious cooking.  My first time ever making Sunday gravy, it was really good, and used a LOT of tomatoes!
Andrew made biscuits-they were square-i don't know why, but it was nice to sit down and eat breakfast together.
I decided to try another Smitten Kitchen recipe-Poppy Seed Lemon cake.  It was good, but I wish it was a little more lemon-y and more moist like a cake made with buttermilk or sour cream.  I chose the recipe because it used 8 egg yolks-yikes I know, but it allowed me to use the egg whites for my breakfast for the coming work week.  I look forward to trying more of her recipes, and I need to follow her blog.
There was also some play time-Sophie really enjoyed having her "brothers" home for the weekend.
A very nice facetime call with Roy, not fun that it was from a hospital room, but a nice way to send get well wishes.
Finally, the weekend ended with a special trunk show at Cast on Cottage featuring Claudia of Claudia's Hand Painted Yarns.  She is not only a talented dyer, but a super nice person as well.  I hope she makes another trip to the Cottage at some point.  Of course, I did a "little" stash enhancement while I was there-those purchases will be photos for another time.




1 comment:

Mary said...

loads of fun! so jealous I missed the Claudia event. glad you didn't!