Thursday, April 10, 2014

cause that's how i like to do it.

with regular spring weather upon us, i got to thinking about outside bike rides.  I've really missed them, but what I don't miss about them is how time consuming they can be-1+ hour to drive round trip, load and unload bikes, then 2+ hours for the ride.  The good side is that if Steve is driving, I get to knit while he drives.  It got me thinking about my routine.  I'll admit I like my  routine,and I don't like it messed with-I know there are times when things have to be re-arranged, but to just approach each day without some sort of plan makes me twitchy.  While thinking about the timesuckthatisoutdoorcycling, I also realized that my extra pair of hands won't be home this summer.  So I made a list of the things I have to do each week along with a list of things I want to do-grocery shopping, laundry, cooking, cleaning, exercise, knitting, sewing, etc. Along with my need to have a routing, I'm of the camp that you do your chores first then you play, so with game plan in place, my goal for the next few months is to "work" Sunday AM-Wednesday, so I can play Thursday-Saturday, and Sunday afternoon.  Some of these shifts will include doing my house work Sunday mornings while everyone is asleep.  I have a pretty good routine for this, so it only takes about 45 minutes-without vacuuming- that will have to wait til after church.  I'm going to use Wednesday as my grocery shopping, and weekend prep day-cutting/washing/prepping veggies, marinades, dressings, etc.  Anything that can be made ahead of time.  Our dinners are going to be more thematic as well.  Friday-snack or leftovers-am looking forward to sitting on the deck with a glass of wine, my knitting and food that only requires me to put it on my plate.  Saturday will be pizza/stromboli night-think my family can cope with the change?!  Sunday after church lunch a simple one dish meal that'll fill us up, and then we can have snacks again for dinner.  Monday-Thursday will be a combination of leftover and anything that can be made into a quesadilla. Am hoping this will work, and provide me with the sense of balance, accomplishment, and not lose my sanity.  Hopefully there will be more blog fodder too.  Am making great progress on my current WIPs, so hopefully I'll have something to share in a week or so.

2 comments:

Mary said...

sounds like a good plan to get you more time outside! love your tag "creating balance". I find that any balance requires constant maintenance... look forward to finding some of my own. come June!

Linda said...

I like to combine a bit of fun with chores. So on the weekends, I set the kitchen timer. I sit and read until it goes off - then get up and do a chore - reset it - read, then ding - go do a chore - and so on. Probably would just be faster to do all the chores at once - but this works for me - LOL!

Linda in VA