Tuesday, December 25, 2007

The Spirit of Christmas

This Christmas has become very special to me, I've been able to reflect about the traditions that have been part of our family for several years now. We did most of the old stuff, and have added some new. This year we attended the candlelight service at church as a family for the first time, and it was very special. Our family did the Advent reading and lite the Advent candles, and at the last minute I was asked to help serve communion, which is always a very special task for me.

I was amazed at the number of our congregation that came to this service, which began at 11pm and ended just after midnight. Not only was the music spectacular, but the fact that these individuals came to this service because they wanted to, not out of obligation was a real eye opener for me. We were just there for regular Sunday service the day before it would have been so easy to skip this service!

You could definitely feel the Spirit moving, and a sense of peace resting as we lite our own candles, and filed out of the sanctuary at the end. There were well wishes and hugs by all, everyone seemed "merry and bright!"

Perhaps we are just lucky to be part of such a friendly and family centered church, but I would like to hope that others who attend church regularly and are active can relate.

It is my goal to keep the Spirit of Christmas with me throughout the year. Charity, family togetherness and showing compassion to others should be a goal for everyone everyday.

More Christmas happenings to follow in another post, Santa was good to us this year- what was your most unusual gift this year, I'll reveal mine tomorrow.
TTFN

1 comment:

Mary said...

lovely thoughts! my most unusual gift - probably the wool winder (even though it was something I'd asked for, I had to explain it to marc!)